Tuesday, December 23, 2014
64° F
Light Rain
Follow Us
What's Hot:

Welcome to   Check out the Event Calendar...... Brand New Website coming soon!

Wife seeks closure after crash that killed her husband

By Tim Hall | Apr 16, 2008
Family man: David Ellis pictured with his wife, mother and children.
The widow of road crash victim David Ellis has made an impassioned plea for help in piecing together how her husband died.
Kim Ellis, David’s wife of 10 years, said she will not be able to find closure until she knows exactly how the tragic accident happened. Mr. Ellis, 36, was found unconscious and alone in the road in the early hours of the morning earlier this month. Police say he was not a pedestrian and think he may have fallen off the back of a motorcycle. However, nobody has come forward to say they were driving the bike or to tell them how the crash happened.
Mrs. Ellis, 36, a Bermudian who lives in the U.S., spoke about her loss publicly for the first time yesterday as a slew of accidents continue to cost lives on the island’s roads. Mr. Ellis is one of four crash victims to die in the past eight days. The latest victim was young mother Kitina Simmons, who was killed when her car hit a pavement and overturned. Yesterday, tributes to the 23-year-old Sandy’s woman continued to flood Internet site Facebook.
Last weekend, 30-year-old lawyer Charles Everett and Kelvin Lamar Quarles, 37, also lost their lives on the road. It means that seven people have now been killed in crashes in the first three and a half months of the year. Police have said an “unprecedented” number of accidents are occurring weekly. Yesterday, the Road Safety Council and the police held an emergency summit to discuss ways to cut death rates – the findings of which will be announced later this week.
David Ellis lived in Atlanta with Kim and their two children, Engel, nine, and David Jr., six. Mr. Ellis was visiting Bermuda for two weeks to help his mother, Sylvia, prepare for her move to live with them in the U.S. Kim Ellis said yesterday: “His mother went back and forth between Bermuda and here [Atlanta] and we kept saying to her: ‘your grandchildren are here, why don’t you stay?’
“Eventually, she agreed. David was helping her pack up, tie up loose ends. He was meant to come back on the 22nd – in time for our son’s seventh birthday. Instead I got a call saying there had been an accident. I thought if we prayed and didn’t lose hope he would be okay. But we lost him, he’s gone.”
David and Kim became friends in 1992 when both were studying at Oakville College, Alabama. They lost contact but were reunited in 1997. Both had returned to the island and Kim was working for Bermuda Glass Blowing Company in Bailey’s Bay. David, who earned an associate degree in computing and electronics, visited her office to install a new telephone system.

“We knew each other immediately and have been inseparable ever since,” Kim said. “We got married later that year — it was a whirlwind romance. He was the most outgoing, personable, adventurous and spontaneous person you could ever meet. He was the life of the room the minute he walked in. He was always thinking about what his family needed and worked hard to prepare for his children’s future.”
David’s mother, Sylvia, ran a private rest home in Bermuda for over 20 years. David had caught the entrepreneurial bug and had recently started a business renovating old properties for resale. Kim and David worked the business side by side – identifying appropriate houses on the internet and then painting, plastering and renovating themselves.
Kim says that losing her husband has been made doubly hard by the fact she does not know exactly how he died. She said: “If it was just an accident, then that’s that. If it was something else — if someone else is involved — I want to know that too. That’s the only way I’ll get closure. So far, the police haven’t really been able to tell me anything at all. They just say the investigation is ongoing. I don’t think they’ve had anyone tell them anything. I don’t understand how someone could leave him lying there and not say anything. Someone must know; I’d like them to go to the police and tell them what happened — for my sake and for the sake of the family.”
David Ellis' accident happened on on Tween Walls Road in Sandys around 12.40am on Thursday 3rd April. He died around 3pm on April 8. Anyone with information about the accident — or who remembers seeing Mr. Ellis in the hours before the crash — should contact Inspector Michael Redfern on 234-1010.