In the late 1800s, a small jewellery shop located on the site of today’s main store employed a young man called Ernest M. Astwood. He worked himself to a position of Trust and in 1904 purchased the store and changed the name to E.M. Astwood.
Later, Mr. R.M. Dickinson joined the company as a young man. After serving in the First World War, he left for the United States to further his education as an optometrist. He remained in the U.S. for fifteen years, during which time he owned and operated an optical business in Denver, Colorado . Upon his return to Bermuda in 1932, he became a partner with Mr. Astwood and for the first time, the name Astwood Dickinson Company was used.
During its early years the Company sold such items as pianos and silver souvenir items. Gradually the core focus of Astwood Dickinson became fine jewellery and luxury watches with merchandise from around the world, resulting in reputation second to none.
In 1956 Mr. R.M. Dickinson’s son Mr. Thomas Dickinson joined the company after completing his education in the states. And in 1969, Mr. Thomas Dickinson became President and Managing Director of the company. He remained in this position until his retirement in 2005, when he sold the business to a life long friend Mr. Peter Cooper.
Today, the company is owned by A.S. Coopers & Son’s limited who’s Managing Director is Mr. Peter S. Cooper . Over the years Astwood Dickinson has gone through many transformations; however, the true characteristics still remain with master craftsmanship, quality service and exquisite products.Winter Hours: Monday to Saturday, 10am – 5pm