Fort St. Catherine defended the eastern channel of Bermuda from the time of the island’s first settlement in the 1600’s, and was used for military purposes through WWII. The original, small fort was built in 1614 to defend Gates’ Bay, the beach next to the fort where the survivors of the Sea Venture shipwreck made landfall. Additions were made through the centuries, with the last upgrade between 1865 and 1878, when five large, rifle muzzle-loading guns were mounted.
Today the fort is open to the public and home to exhibits and displays detailing the history and development of Bermuda’s UNESCO World Heritage Site and the fortifications of the east end. The St. Regis Hotel under construction next to the fort is due to open in 2021.
Hours: Mon – Fri, 10am – 4pm. Entry fee: $7 adults, $5 seniors, $3 children 5-12 years.
- Phone: 1 441 297 1920
- Address: 15 Coot Pond Road, St. Catherines Point, St George's, Bermuda
- Email: email@example.com